Riding the tram is the idyllic way to begin Part Two of the Pilgrimage. If it is a continuation of Part One, walk to the Percival St. tram stop. Otherwise, take the Happy Valley tram from Central/ Wanchai or from North Point/Causeway Bay. It is a one-way journey to the final stop.
Tung Lin Kok Yuen
From the terminus, go back along the track to Blue Pool Rd. At the junction with Ventris Rd. is Tam Kung Temple, which was built in 1901. In the main hall, the darker face Matsu, Goddess of the Sea, is on Tam Kung’s left. Kwan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy, is on his right.
Tung Lin Kok Yuen Nunnery is at No. 15 Shan Kwong Rd. with the Po Kok Primary School for Girls at No. 11. Lady Clara Cheng, the second wife of Sir Robert Hotung, built the complex in 1935. Her dream was to propagate Buddhism and educate under-privileged girls. The complex was classified as a Grade II Historical Building.
The Hindu Temple in was built in 1952. After a flight of stairs to the top and turn left will reach the North Indian style temple. Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshimi is worshipped in the central shrine, with Lord Siva and Goddess Parvati on the their left and Jhulelan on the right.
The Temple was built on the edge of a piece of land allocated as the site of the Hindu Cemetery. There are only a small number of interments to be found as Hindus cremate their dead. Among these are graves of children who died young, at the request of their parents.
Next to the Hindu Cemetery is the Parsee Cemetery, the resting places of believers practicing the Zoroastrian faith. It was built in 1852.
Hong Kong Cemetery
St. Michael Catholic Cemetery
The Muslim Cemetery is the burial ground for civilians as well as Commonwealth burials of the First and Second World War.
There is no need to join the races to have a feel of another popular Hong Kong secular faith, Horse Racing. The Moon Koon Restaurant of the Hong Kong Jockey Club commands a panoramic view of the racecourse. It offers dim sum and Cantonese cuisine. Tel: 2966 7111.
The Sikh Temple is next if you wish to stick to the religious route. Turn left form the Cosmopolitan Hotel and walk up to No. 371, Queen's Road East. It was built in 1901 and is the worshipping place for the 8,000 strong Sikh community.
To reach to the Masjid Ammar and Osman Ramju Sadick Islamic Centre, cross the road to the other side of Queen’s Road East. Walk down a flight of stairs, go straight along Oi Kwan Rd. and then turn left. The Mosque and Centre was open in 1981.
Oi Kwan Baptist Church is across the road from the Islamic Centre. It was built in 1981 and serves a Chinese congregation. The two harmonious looking buildings are on the same ground where Morrison Hill once stood, a perfect full stop to Hong Kong's Urban Pilgrimage.